Hello to you!
I want to share something different today. Those who are around me lately know I have changed my lifestyle from vegetarian to Plant-based about Six months ago. My primary reason for doing so (apart from health) is the environment. Did you know that IF you are on a Plant-based diet, your environmental impact is reduced by 84%? 84%! That includes land use, climate change, and water depletion. How crazy is that? Reducing your animal product consumption goes a long way guys. Never underestimate the effect of what you can do.
- Because you are on a
PLANTBASEDDIET- your environmental impact in the following six categories of including land use, water depletion, climate change, respiratory inorganics, marine water eutrophication, and freshwater eutrophication is 84% LESS.
2. A study published last month by researchers at the University of Oxford found:
- ditching animal products could reduce your food carbon footprint by 73 percent.
- if everyone ate plant-based, global land use could be reduced by 75 percent(that’s comparable to the size of the United States, China, Australia, and the whole European Union combined) Let that sink in. WHOA!
3. A Recent Report from Farm Animal Investment Risk and Return found:
- the meat industry was jeopardizing the Paris climate agreement by failing to properly report its emissions, despite being the single largest contributor to climate change.
- The fact is raising animals for food produces more greenhouse gas than all the cars, planes, and other forms of transportation combined.
4. A Recent Analysis by Goodland and Anhang found:
- that livestock and their byproducts actually account for at least 32.6 billion tons of carbon dioxide per
year,or 51 percent of annual worldwide GHG emissions.
5. But a Plant-based diet isn’t just good for the Planet–
- It also spares countless animals a lifetime of misery at factory farms.
- From birth to death, these innocent animals are trapped in a nightmare: crated and caged, cut and burned, and brutally killed.
There is no question that climate change is real, and there is no question that raising animals for food is terrible for the planet. Join the millions of people helping protect farmed animals and the planet by eating more plant-based foods.
Joe Loria, “Study: Vegan Diet’s Environmental Impact Up to 84 Percent Less,” org, Mercy for Animals, August 24, 2018, accessed August 8, 2019, https://mercyforanimals.org/the-startup-accelerator-behind-airbnb-reddit.
R. Goodland and J. Anhang, “Livestock and Climate Change,” World Watch22, no. 6 (November 2009): 10–19.