Hi everyone! I’m so excited to share with you my tour stop for Mari Mancusi’s Scorched blog tour. Scorched comes out this September 3, from one of my fave publishers Sourcebooks Fire! (they organized this tour too!)
Scorched is all about this dragon and a girl named Trinity and everything fiery and burning and I can just feel the heat radiating everywhere! So, Mari Mancusi, the author herself, gathered up all her wits to make us a Dragon Survival Kit. Read on below to find out what made the list!
Dragon Survival Kit!
by Mari Mancusi
Everyone’s always worried about being prepared for a zombie apocalypse. But when dragons take over the world, let’s face it, that’s probably going to be a lot worse. Because, you know, while zombies are busy, just shuffling around aimlessly from place to place, dragons are freaking setting everything on fire. So yeah. Dragon apocalypse. Better be prepared.
Here’s what I would suggest you keep stockpiled:
- Burn salve. Goes without saying, right? While you probably won’t need it for a full on dragon attack (read: you’d already be dead) if you were hit by a burning branch or had to escape a burning building, burn salve would be your best friend.
- A rotting leg of lamb. Dragons are always hungry. They’re like dogs – they’ll eat until they explode. And if you don’t want them to select you from the menu, you’d better have some specials on hand. Preferably good and bloody specials with really strong smells. Throw them out and tell that big boy chasing you to have at it. Dragons are luckily also pretty lazy and they’ll choose the food that’s not moving vs. the one they have to catch every time.
- The Shiny! Dragons love treasure almost as much as they love food. The shinier and more sparkly the better. And let’s face it, the world has collapsed – those antique family heirlooms aren’t going to do you any good anyway. Throw them at the dragon and you may have a chance of distracting him enough to get away.
- A Saddle. Now this won’t work for everyone, but there are individuals out there who have what’s called “the spark” which allows them to communicate telepathically with dragons and get them on your side. If you are lucky enough to have this gift, well, you might suddenly find yourself a proud owner of a big ass dragon. And what do you do with big ass dragons? Duh. So it’s best to come prepared. Note: Do not try to ride a dragon until it has given you its full permission. Otherwise you will splat on take-off, saddle or no.
- A Time Travel Machine. If all else fails, you can always volunteer like Connor Jacks has, to go back in time to stop the dragon apocalypse from starting in the first place. The good news? You will not get eaten by a dragon. The bad news? There’s no coming back—you’ll be forced to live out your days two centuries before you were actually born. Oh and your twin brother might try to kill you.
About the Book:
Author: Mari Mancusi
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publishing Date: September 3, 2013
Don’t leave me here… It starts with a whisper. At first Trinity thinks she’s going crazy. It wouldn’t be a big surprise—her grandpa firmly believes there’s a genuine dragon egg in their dusty little West Texas town. But this voice is real, and it’s begging for her protection. Even if no one else can hear it…
He’s come from a future scorched by dragonfire. His mission: Find the girl. Destroy the egg. Save the world.
He’s everything his twin brother Connor hates: cocky, undisciplined, and obsessed with saving dragons.
Trinity has no idea which brother to believe. All she has to go by is the voice in her head—a dragon that won’t be tamed.
Check out the book trailer!
About the Author:
Mari Mancusi used to wish she could become a vampire back in high school. But she ended up in another blood sucking profession –journalism — instead. Today she works as a freelance TV producer and author of books for teens and adults.
When not writing about creatures of the night, Mari enjoys traveling, cooking, goth clubbing, watching cheesy horror movies, and her favorite guilty pleasure–videogames. A graduate of Boston University and a two time Emmy Award winner, she lives in Austin , Texas with her husband Jacob, daughter Avalon and their dog Mesquite. You can find Mari online at www.marimancusi.com or www.bloodcovenvampires.com.
What Reviewers are Saying:
“A smoking triptych of time traveling, dubious double-crossing and enough dragons to sate the hungriest of gamers and fantasy fiends.” —Kirkus Reviews
“Mancusi grabs readers and drags them into this fantastic world full of time-travel paradoxes, mythical creatures and romance. You’ll fall in love with these characters and their mission to save the world. The beginning of a trilogy you won’t want to miss!” —RT Book Reviews
“Fantastic, witty, fun . . . Scorched is an exhilarating, intriguing and adventure-filled fantasy. Mancusi leaves the reader hanging, even dangling, in all the right places. . . [and] answers the question, “What would the world be like if it was taken over by dragons?” with a definitive, exciting and riveting response: Well, it’d be Scorched.” —Deseret News
“Flashbacks and alternating points of view from Trinity, Caleb, and Connor keep the action moving . . . Each character is flawed and human, forced to deal with the enormity of the impossible decisions they must make.” —Booklist